Day 44: Pockets Are Hard

Once again, as is often the case on weekends, I didn’t get a ton of knitting in. I did not, in fact, even manage to finish two full rows, and that’s because pockets are hard.

I finally managed to get to the point where I put was to knit in the pockets, and I was so excited about it. Finally, a break from the monotony of the body.

It was definitely one of those scenarios, like when I did the yoke, that I read and re-read the instructions, but couldn’t quite interpret what exactly I was supposed to do. So I just went ahead and worked it up, and hoped for the best.

It didn’t work out for me quite as well this time.

I must have worked at it for an hour, but the casting on with the cable cast on was just not making sense.

I should say, the cast on itself was easy enough to figure out, but which needle and with what strand of yarn I very much struggled with.

The designer of this pattern was very good about saying when you were supposed to cast on with a new strand of yarn, and when you were not. And she said nothing about using new yarn at this section, so I just went ahead and tried casting the required amount of stitches onto the left needle.

It wasn’t until I’d cast about half of these on, had to rip them all out because I realized I hadn’t knit enough stitches before starting the pocket, then cast on again, this time with the full amount required, that I realized there was no functional way for this method to work.

The working yarn was on the right needle, all the new stitches were on the left needle, and with as many as I had cast on, there was absolutely no way I was getting the right needle up and over those stitches to start knitting.

So, I went to the discussion posted by the designer when she created the sweater, as I should have done in the first place.

It took me absolutely ages to find any reference to my dilemma, but I did finally figure it out.

As it turns out, when casting on the additional stitches, you’re supposed to turn the work, so that the new stitches are going on the right-hand needle with the working yarn.

Which, in hindsight, seems obvious. But there were no instructions to turn the work before casting on, so I just assumed you weren’t supposed to. As I said, the pattern is usually very good about indicating where new yarn should be used, or where the work should be turned rather than continuing straight.

I guess the designer just assumed that nobody would be foolish enough to think that casting onto the left needle would be even remotely feasible in this situation.

But anyway, I’ve got it figured out now, and by tomorrow’s post, I WILL have the beginnings of pockets!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s