Day 42: Increase Unhappy

I’m almost to the pockets, guys! I still have to take the measurements to make sure, but I’m pretty sure I’ve knit enough of the same old reverse stockinette stitch that by the time I next pick up my needles, I’ll be able to figure out how the heck to cast on for the pockets.

I’m so, so close to being done with this skein of yarn, as well. And I double checked, I’ve only got 3 skeins left once I finish this one, which means this will be my 4th completed skein!

Hopefully, only 2 more to go.

While I was knitting, I once again made a couple of mistakes for which, as usual, I had to figure out work arounds.

The change in the amount of rows between increases seems to have really messed me up, because not once but twice (out of 2 times, I should add), I missed my increases.

The first time, I’d completely finished the row, and at more than 200 stitches per row, I was NOT going to try tinking back. It simply wasn’t worth it. So instead, I carried on knitting, and when I came to the places where I’d usually put in the increases on the opposite row, I put increases into this row.

I decided to do it this way rather than waiting until I was on the right side of the fabric because I thought the extra row just wouldn’t look right. It did mean that I had to do the increase slightly differently. Instead of a standard knit M1, I purled my M1 stitch. I just picked the bar up in the opposite direction as usual, and purled it. It’s not identical to my usual stitch, but it looks close enough on each side that there’s no obvious difference.

I felt pretty clever for that. Probably more than was deserved, but I’ll take what I can get.

What made me feel less clever is that I got to the next increase row, and I forgot to do my increases, again.

Fortunately, I was only half way through the row this time, so I sucked it up and tinked back to put in the increases I missed, then carried on and actually (miracle of miracles) remembered to do my second half of increases as well.

Oh, and one last thing, I finally started putting together the collar! The pattern doesn’t technically call for the collar to be put together and attached until the whole thing is knit up, but it’s really not going to make a difference if I do it now. Even the designer said as much, according to a forum I read on Ravelry.

I only managed to pull out the provisional cast on and graft together (aka kitchener stitch – thank you Taylor for telling me this after I indicated my confusion in a previous post about what this meant) the two pieces, but I’m hoping to have it sewn onto the rest of the sweater by my next post.

I’m very much looking forward to not having those dangly pieces getting in the way when try to fold it up or take pictures.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s