I wrote about it earlier this month (or maybe in June? These days really blur together for me), but for the longest time my oldest stash was a bit of purple dyed alpaca that I couldn’t decide on a project for. I’ve finally cast on some mitts in that yarn (still just one more mitt to go), so I’m not sure that counts as stash anymore.
If I’m remembering correctly, then, the oldest stash I have as of now is a bit of corriedale from Bumblebee Acres Farm (the same place I get my advent calendars).
And by “a bit” I mean 6 skeins of fingering weight yarn. That’s at least 2,500 yards, folks. That’s a lot.
I purchased this yarn with the intention of making this super long cardigan as my first sweater. At the time, I was on a kick with leggings and I just wanted something that would come down and cover my butt and my front bits. I was having a hell of a time finding anything reasonably priced that could serve well over my leggings. So, you know, I thought I’d spend $160 to make a sweater. That seemed reasonably priced.
All joking aside, though, I was trying to finally start a sweater, and the cardigan was where my motivation lay.
Fast forward two years, and I’ve been struggling to find a new project for that yarn for ages. Before I knit the sweater, I ended up knitting a shawl out of the same yarn in a different colorway. I didn’t find it pleasant to work with at all, and it was honestly a little scratchy compared to the loveliness of the merino I was used to working with at this point. I knew there was no way in hell I was going to be able to knit a 6-skein sweater out of it.
I’ve since been holding onto the yarn, looking up large projects now and then that might do for this type of yarn. So far, I think I’m set on a lacy stole pattern that I’ll just have to increase the size of slightly in order to use up more of my yarn.
Either that, or maybe I’ll finally just let it go and put it on the “free and for sale” section of Ravelry.
I actually really need to cast on a travel project, as Michael and I are going to Chicago soon. While technically the mitts could be something that I work on on the train (we always take the train because driving in Chicago is the worst), I find them just a little too fiddly. There’s not really a pattern of any kind, but the yarn is a little bit lacy and it can be difficult to make it do exactly what I want.
I think what I’m going to cast on is a pair of vanilla socks. I’ve got some red, green, and white sparkly yarn that Taylor gave me that I’ve been meaning to cast on. I was going to save it for a Christmas Eve cast on, but I sure as heck wouldn’t have time to wear them before the Christmas season has ended (not that that has stopped me before).
I wanted to knit them into a pattern for a while, but thinking about the yarn, which is micro-striped, I think they’ll make a really cute pair of vanilla socks.
And it really has to be vanilla socks if I’m going to work on them on the train. I get motion sickness so easily, any amount of looking down, trying to read a pattern, or counting stitches can make me very nauseated. And that’s not a fun way to start a trip.
I’ve made progress on my wedding shawl! Well, on the pattern at least.
I really wanted to have a few iconic wintery/Christmasy images in the shawl, but I couldn’t for the life of me find a lace pattern I liked for snowflakes or eight-point stars (commonly thought of as poinsettias), so I decided to make my own.
I know now why no one has a lace pattern for snowflakes or eight-point stars.
Designing patterns for these sorts of things in colorwork, which I’ve done many times before, is very easy. You just grab a bit of graph paper or open up excel, and it’s as simple as creating a chart. When you knit it up, it’ll pretty much look exactly like the pattern you’ve created in your blocks. Not so with lace knitting. Not so at all.
I started by charting out snowflake patterns in excel, then transferred it into a program online, putting in a yarn over and decrease anywhere there was a block filled in on my spreadsheet. That plan fell apart very quickly, though, as you can’t have one entire row of yarn overs with “knit 20 together” at the end when you want to do a line straight across for the middle of the snowflake.
After I figured that out, I made a few adjustments and rolled on. The first attempt which I actually started swatching up was too complicated. You need more rows than you think you do between your yarn overs, or they just start blending together. I finally managed to create a basic enough shape that I think it’ll turn out quite well in practice. I messed up the swatch, though, so I still have a lot of knitting to go.
Hopefully I’ll have all the swatching done before the end of the month, because I really need to get going on this shawl. I can only tolerate so many rows of lace a day, and I don’t want to run out of time before the wedding!